Delaware’s restaurant industry is ready to begin the road to economic recovery and welcome guests back into our dining rooms across the state. Use this page as a resource to find guidance on reopening, labor/staffing questions, public health guidelines and regulations from Governor Carney and the reopening Task Force.
The DRA Restaurant Recovery Reopening Toolkit
This comprehensive, all-in-one document includes operator information
and guidance from all state agencies, plus a master checklist of critical steps
needed to take before restaurant reopening can occur.
The Delaware Restaurant Promise
To ensure everyone’s safety as we welcome the public back into our dining spaces, we ask that restaurants and guests promise to abide by these defined safety & protection standards. This contract of protection standards will give our guests the confidence to return to restaurants, providing piece of mind that all safety measures and precautions are being taken during the Phase 1 Reopening. We encourage all restaurants to post the Promise at the entryway/front window of their establishments.
Click the pictures below to view and download the DE Restaurant Promise.
Phase 1 – Delaware Restaurant Reopening Guidelines
In Friday’s press conference, Governor Carney announced the Reopening Guidelines for Delaware Restaurants and other businesses included in the Phase 1 reopenings. Phase 1 is targeted to begin on June 1st. Please note the following guidance for individuals, businesses, and specifically food and drink establishments. Click to learn more or view full guidebook here.
Additional Guidance for Restaurants
ServSafe Reopening Guidance: COVID-19 Precautions. Free online training by the The National Restaurant Association outlining the steps restaurant employees are encouraged to utilize in returning to full-service operations. Video topics include:
- Knowing COVID-19 symptoms and preventing its spread
- Recognizing actions to reduce risk to employees and guests
- Guidelines for face coverings, hand washing, and food handling
- Guidelines for cleaning, sanitizing, and disinfecting
- Physical and operational changes to maintain social distancing
The National Restaurant Association has also recently published COVID-19 Reopening Guidance: A Guide for the Restaurant Industry. This is a free download available to all members.
Additional guidance has also been published from the FDA, providing best practices for reopening food establishments. Click here for more.
Frequently Asked Questions
What should a business do if an employee suspects they may have come in contact with Coronavirus, or have tested positive? Should I notify all other employees? Does my business need to close? Here are answers to these and many more frequently asked questison.
- Guidelines for Foodservice Establishment Owners – Provided by DE Division of Public Health (employee positive tests, possible business closures, etc.)
- Employer Workplace Scenarios – Provided by labor attorneys at Saul Ewing, Arnstein & Lehr (should I notify employees of positive tests, confidentiality considerations, etc.)
- Guidance for Businesses & Employers – Provided by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) (preventing the spread, healthy workplaces, etc.)
- Cleaning & Disinfecting Guidelines – Provided by the CDC (cleaning to prevent spread, plus post-contamination)
- Unemployment Insurance Relief during COVID-19 – Provided by the Department of Labor (refer to FAQ for how to bring employees back, can UI benefits be cutoff if an employee refuses work, etc.) Click here for a sample return to work letter, and here for refusual to return to work documentation.